An effort to make Pot Holder Loops – maybe a tutorial

I like potholders with loops because they can become kitchen decoration as well as a useful kitchen tool.  Because I’m a major worrier, I don’t like those little plastic circles that you can stitch onto the potholder.  The stitching could come loose and the potholder could fall onto a hot surface!  So I’ve been thinking hard about how to stitch a loop using the binding itself.  Here is my first effort.

[Later]  I took a lot of photos, and captioned all of them with instructions.  1. The captions disappeared.  2. I don’t like my technique for making potholder loops.  And 3. I don’t have the energy or interest to recreate all of those captions.  So I’m going to add a few of the photos, and most of you will be able to figure out the general idea.  I’m already on my third effort to create an elegant pot holder loop, so I will try this tutorial again in the future.  But for now:

wpid-wp-1444269116534.jpg

wpid-wp-1444270504440.jpg

wpid-wp-1444272355918.jpgwpid-wp-1444271186290.jpg

 

wpid-wp-1444272924124.jpgwpid-wp-1444273256284.jpg

Calling it done.  🙂

 

Advertisements

Potholders – and new technology

  1. A few days ago I decided to make potholders as Christmas presents.
  2. I decided to be spontaneous and use all of a 36 piece charm square packet I purchased a few weeks ago from connectingthreads.com.  The packet was called “Good Neighbors”.
  3. I threw caution to the wind, and didn’t use a pattern!

So here is the result.

I started Saturday morning at the PMQG Sew Day and after much rearranging, I like what I’ve got.  (Thank you to Laura, last name unknown, for your help!)

They are bright and happy, and I hope they fit well into the receivers’ kitchens.

The charm pack made eight potholders.  Onto a large piece of backing, I placed one layer of Insul-bright and one layer of 100% cotton batting.  Pinned all of the potholders down and then straight-line quilted with a walking foot.

The charm pack made eight potholders. Onto a large piece of backing, I placed one layer of Insul-bright and one layer of 100% cotton batting. Pinned all of the potholders down and then straight-line quilted with a walking foot.

The backing is a dark gray essex linen-blend.

Almost forgot. The new technology part is the WordPress app that I just added to my phone and which I’m using to create this post. It’s encouraged me to make a post to my blog which is long overdue. But I’m having a lot of difficulty posting and captioning the pictures. So I’ll save my draft – and finish it on the main computer. And probably not with my new Windows 10 laptop either, which I’m also having difficulty understanding. It’s amazing how much time technology can take away from sewing!